Thursday, May 7, 2009

angsty poetry bennett may have written like, now

this oppressive malaise
this malarious limbo
this charnel house of moldering hopes
o life bereft of babes and boulevardiering
your air thick with the smell of laundry detergent and wet earth
and everpresent with the slight, ominous scent of sulfur
as if perpetually on the verge of some big, big stroke
i gag on the ripe effluvium of your ennui

within these seemingly harmless bedroom walls
of soft and sedating Benjamin Moore
something rots abominable
a coffee can filled with shit immured behind the plaster
or maybe a dead rat (either way, it's gross)
and yet not far off i can see the city
lit up something simultaneously horrifying and marvelous 
like a Christmas tree on fire
and yet not far off i can hear the bonhomous fizz
of all those drunk dialogues
nattered over a digital symphony of ill-advised sexts
i might run through each ear with an awl
to spare myself the mockery of this tarty champagne serenade

God, grant me a grind that will wear me down me to powder
let me idle away my youth in relationships
that kick around like empty soda cans
let me drink more than i should at happy hours
and dance on tables at the Patriot
let me glimmer and bray like the golden ass 
every twentysomething deserves to be
just spare me from this dirge of suburban life
just spare me this gulag on a kraken


2 comments: